Jump to: navigation, search

Gold rolled

91 bytes added, 4 years ago
no edit summary
[[File:TheKing-Overlay-Cap.jpg|thumb|A gold rolled (''"18 KR"'') cap]]
While in the US is commonly used to call gold laminated finishes ''"Gold Rolled"'' (or ''"Gold Filled"'' o ''"Rolled Gold Plate"''), in the European production is commonly used the abbreviation [[KR]], short for ''"Karat Rolled"'' that usually indicates the titling of gold laminations are often found for [[overlay]]s, following . Before the abbreviation there is the title of gold percentage present in the rolling, expressed in carats, therefore the sign ''"18 KR"'' indicates a 18 carat gold lamination, while the sign ''"14 KR "'' a 14 carat gold lamination.
In Italy the abbreviation was later translated, in the wake of the Italianisation campaign led by the fascist regime, as ''"Karati Rinforzati"'' to keep the acronym (a partial translation, because "Karati" is not Italian). Today it would simply indicated as ''goldplated''.
The "KR" letters often draws people in confusion because they are taken as titration for the coating material, which instead it is not gold. The A solid gold material (nib or overlay) has to b be stamped by the correct acronym , using a direct an expression in carats (today, and in newer less old pens, it should would be stamped as with a millesimal percentage). So it a solid gold materal would be indicated, depending on the country, or with the "K" only , or just the "C" only (as ''"18 K"'' or ''"18 C 18"'') or by the letters "Kt" or "Ct" (as ''"14 Kt"'' or ''"14 Ct"''), and sometimes. Sometimes, in Italian pens, even the same is marked also with "Ki".
[[Category:Translated Pages]]

Navigation menu