A notable variant of the safety filler is the peculiar filling system adopted by Moore for its Non-Leakable pens, for which three distinct patents were filed, one in 1893 (nº US-501895) and two in 1896 (nº US-567151 and nº US-567152). The principle is always to use a recessed nib assembly, but in this case instead of using a helical screw, there is a linear sliding type.
The system has, compared to the traditional safety filler, the advantage of an enviable mechanical simplicity, in this case in fact the sliding of the nib group is achieved through the use of a sleeve placed on the bottom of the pen that is made to slide back and forth on the shaft of the same. At the bottom that closes the sleeve is hooked with a rod the nib group, which emerges through a gasket watertight from the bottom of the barrel, so it can be moved into writing position or returned to the body of the pen.
With the nib in the retracted position the pen can be loaded or closed like any other traditional safety, so much so that Moore sold its own pens leaving the factory already loaded with ink, as further evidence to support the actual truthfulness of their name Non-Leakable.
The mechanical simplicity of the system, based on the simple linear sliding of a rod, is the strong point of this mechanism, much more robust and easy to made compared to the complexity of that used in the other retractable pens; all that was required was a good precision in the tolerances of the mechanical machining and good quality gaskets.
In addition to the Moore the system was also used by the Montblanc in their first Rouge et Noir models, almost certainly brought to Germany for the foundation of the company by Arthur Eberstein, who had previously worked for the Moore.
- Patent n° US-501895, of 1893-07-18, requested on 1893-01-13, of Morris W. Moore, Moore Pen Company. Fountain-pen.
- Patent n° US-533942, of 1895-02-12, requested on 1894-05-21, of Francis C. Brown, Caw's. Fountain-pen.
- Patent n° US-567151, of 1896-09-08, requested on 1894-03-07, of Morris W. Moore, Moore Pen Company. Fountain-pen.
- Patent n° US-567152, of 1896-09-08, requested on 1894-11-13, of Morris W. Moore, Moore Pen Company. Fountain-pen.
- Patent n° US-747948, of 1903-12-29, requested on 1902-05-05, of William F. Cushman, Moore Pen Company. Fountain-pen.
- Patent n° US-768779, of 1904-08-30, requested on 1903-08-29, of Harry W. Stone, A. A. Waterman. Fountain-pen.
- Patent n° US-828920, of 1906-08-21, requested on 1905-12-06, of George F. Brandt, Boston Pen. Fountain-pen.
- Patent n° US-846547, of 1907-03-12, requested on 1906-03-17, of Francis C. Brown, Caw's. Fountain-pen.
- Patent n° US-984116, of 1911-02-14, requested on 1910-08-05, of Francis W. Vaughn Jr., Moore Pen Company. Fountain-pen.
- Patent n° GB-191116434, of 1911-11-23, requested on 1910-08-05, of Francis W. Vaughn Jr., Moore Pen Company. Improvements in Fountain Pens.
- Patent n° GB-191125073, of 1912-05-30, requested on 1911-11-10, of Alfred Farmer, De La Rue - Onoto. Improvements in Fountain Pens.